A common issue that homeowners face is to run late or over budget on a renovation project. When constructing or renovating a property, it is not hard to miss schedules or end up with excessive spending.
Here are some of the most common reasons why this happens and some tips on how to try and avoid this problem:
- Planning permission – Usually when looking to extend and renovate your home, you will need it. Applying for development permits or permissions depends on where you live and the extent of home development you want to undertake.
- Planning permission can make you wait for approval to start work or reapply because of restrictions
- Postpone scheduled plans and delay renovation projects.
- Not hiring the right trade professionals for the job – There are many professionals needed for the job when it comes to property renovation and expansion projects, from architects, builders, plasters and plumbers, electricians and interior designers. Making sure you recruit the right person for the job can become a broad process and the risk of hiring ‘cowboys’ or ‘rogue’ traders can be a daunting prospect.
- Be confident in choosing legitimate professionals with Construction Companies Bishops Stortford like https://www.ashmereconstruction.co.uk/
- Underestimating costs – Having a budget is very important for any renovation project and it’s important to be realistic and honest with yourself rather than being idealistic when setting a property renovation budget. It is also a good practice to leave emergency funds of around 20% to cover any surprise costs that crop up.
- Using the wrong material – Using the wrong building materials can cause various problems that can then have an impact on other aspects of the renovation project too.
- Often there are so many choices related to various types of materials and making bad information choices can mean the difference between being on time, on budget or running behind schedule and suffering excessive expenditure for the budget.
- Take too much DIY – For some homeowners who want to renovate, doing the work itself is an attractive choice and allows them to control costs and quality, however, they can get over ambitious and plan to do more work than time or skills allow for.
- Doing things that are wrong and unprofessional can eventually slow down the entire project and in the end you can spend more time and money for a professional to repeat what you have tried do it yourself.